MARCH/APRIL 2020 GRANGE NEWS
I am looking for a Grange or Granger that would like to make up some tote bags to be given away at the next convention. The last few years we have been trying to use up the ones we had stock piled and now we are down to less than 10.
We have had some very generous Grangers in the past to make and donate them. If you are interested in helping with this project, please let me know. I can give measurements if needed. They do need to be big enough to hold the folder and any other information that is collected.
These can be made and brought to the convention in October or sent to me at the address above. Thank you in advance for your help.
Distinguished Grange and Grange in Action
These are both National Grange Contests. The Distinguished Grange Contest has been in existence for around ten years and the Grange in Action is in its second year. We have only had a couple of Granges in Michigan that have participated in the Distinguished Grange over the years and there is quite a number of requirements to accomplish for this award. With that being said...National Grange came up with the Grange in Action Contest which is SO much easier to do that every Grange in this state should be able to enter it. Studley Grange #1174 entered it this past year.
- Submit a one page letter size with pictures and captions of at least 3 various events/activities that the Grange either sponsored or assisted with from September 1, 2019 to September 1, 2020. Anything over one page will be disqualified.
- The Grange name, number and state must be on the front of the page.
- On a separate page, please include the name, address, phone and/or cell number and email address of whom submitted the Grange In Action.
- Granges that qualify for the 2020 Distinguished Grange award are not eligible for this recognition.
- Deadline to submit the one page to National Grange is September 25, 2020 either postmarked or electronic.
- Mail to National Grange, Attn: Loretta Washington—1616 H Street, NW 11th Floor, Washington, DC or email to Loretta Washington at firstname.lastname@example.org Please put Grange in Action report in the subject line for the email.
If we get six Granges in Michigan to participate in this contest, Michigan will be recognized as a State Grange in Action.
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2020 GRANGE NEWS
Happy New Year Everyone! Wow 2020….already! Let’s all work together for a Wonderful, successful, lots of growth, Grange year!
Shortly the Legislative Policy Booklets, Journal of Proceedings, Rosters and By-Laws will be on their way. We email as many as we can and send the others on their way through the USPS. These will be sent to the Master’s and Secretaries as well as the State Officers and Department Directors. Please share them with other members. If you need extra copies emailed or mailed be sure to let me know.
You may have already received (if not soon you will) the large manila envelope from me containing the quarterly report forms, instructions, and for some of you that still use them, the Subordinate reports to Pomona. Please keep these in a safe place so you have them for the year. There are two copies of the report forms for each quarter...one for your records and one to mail to the State Office with your check.
Something that has been brought to my attention lately on more than one occasion, actually, is Grange’s that don’t always take minutes of the meetings. As Secretary of your Grange it is your responsibility to take minutes of each and every Grange meeting. It’s important to have the records of what takes place at each meeting for many reasons. Something might come up that you need to check back to see what action was taken on a particular subject, or need proof of it. It may not always be
possible for you to be at every meeting, so if you can, arrange for someone else to take the minutes for you or have your Master appoint someone to do it for that one meeting, just make sure it is done.