Michigan State Grange
1. To serve the needs and interests of youth.
2. To recognize and develop talents and leadership abilities of young people.
3. To compliment the total Grange program.
4. To provide learning experience through special program.
5. To encourage Youth participation in Grange events.
YOUTH/YOUNG ADULT ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Purpose: To award achievement in either the Subordinate or Pomona Grange. Each Grange may give as many awards as members are qualified. Points will be given for participation.
1. A Fourth degree member.
2. Involvement in attendance, office held, working on projects, committees, school activities, etc.
3. Fill out and mail completed report to State Grange Youth Director by September 10 of each year.
Award: A certificate to be awarded at the State Grange Convention. Award certificate may also be taken back to be awarded at local Grange meetings.
SPECIAL RECOGNITION FOR POMONA AND SUBORDINATE GRANGES
Purpose: To provide the opportunity to recognize the Youth Program of Pomona and Subordinate Granges.
1. Chairman to fill out annual report form.
2. Report due to State Grange Youth Director by September 10 of each year.
Awards: Certificates to be awarded at the Annual Convention.
PUBLIC SPEAKING CONTEST —MICHIGAN ONLY
IMPROMPTU AND PREPARED SPEECHES
Purpose: To improve public speaking abilities of our youth.
Topics: Topics for impromptu speech to be given at time of speech.
Time Limit: Ten minutes to prepare speech after selecting topic, and up to five minutes to give speech.
Age Groups: 13-19, 20-29, 30+
1. At the close of their speech, the contestant will be asked one impromptu question about the content or topic, of their speech.
2. Contestants to compete at the Summer Youth Camp.
Scoring: The speech will be judged on content, addressing the topic, effectiveness and grammar. Scoring will also be determined on delivery and effect (opening, body, and conclusion, voice, state presence, expressiveness) and on the impromptu answer.
Judging: The judges will mark each contestant individually but will take into consideration the group of contestants as a whole.
Awards: Certificates will be awarded for all 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Contestants will also be eligible for door prizes.
YOUTH/YOUNG ADULT CAMPS
The State Grange Youth/Young Adults will be holding one camp in conjunction with the Juniors during the summer. Any Grange youth 14 years of age and over is invited to attend the camps.
1. The conference is for Youth and Young Adults—may be Grange member or non-member.
2. Non-members must be invited by a Grange youth or young adult.
3. All attendees must present a consent form, signed by parent or guardian.
4. All campers will pay the designated fee (if applicable).
5. Attendees are required to follow rules, or must leave.
YOUTH AMBASSADOR — MICHIGAN ONLY
The State Grange Youth will be offering the Ambassador program to recognize two individual youth (one male and one female) that show achievement, participation and dedication to the Grange. Youth to be honored at the Annual State Session in October. May complete requirements to participate in the National Horizon Leadership Award program and attend the National Session in November.
1. Age limit — 16-21 years of age.
2. Previous Ambassadors are not eligible.
3. Must complete an application by the summer youth camp. Selection of Ambassadors will be made Saturday night of the summer camp.
4. Must complete three of the National Youth Achievement Awards or Seals.
5. Must be able to attend the youth activity days at State Session.
6. Preference will go to those that complete the requirements for the Horizon Leadership Awards and able to go to the National Session.
MICHIGAN GROW CLUB
The Michigan GROW (Go Right on Working) Club includes past Ambassadors, Prince, Princesses, Youth Couple, Youth Officers, who attended National Grange, Key Award Winners, Outstanding Young Adult winners, Teenage Award Winners, Grange Recruiters, and Young Agriculturists. All these positions were or are in the Youth/Young Adult Program. GROW Club pins are available.