- The Master should appoint an agricultural chairman and committee to work with different segments of production.
- Become informed and involved on local and state issues. The basic needs of agriculture start with a group of business people investing in a highly technical business that welcome the support of all the consumers.
- Invite local farmers, legislators to participate in forums to better secure legislature and support form local and state governments.
- Agriculture is greatly influenced by taxation, petroleum costs, agricultural inputs and capital to purchase equipment, labor and supplies. The Grange must understand all aspects of farming are done in a timely fashion as farmers have no control over the weather.
- Promote crop insurance, technology and cooperative relations.
- Despite the fact that agriculture is done in a rural setting, the Grange must promote good roads (farm to market roads) due to the large amount of inputs and harvest return (meat, milk, crops, and vegetables) for an economic delivery.
- The Agricultural Chairman should give a detailed report at each meeting regarding progress in agriculture.
- The Grange should encourage business people and politicians to attend meetings at all time and make an effort to get them to join the Grange.
- Insurance is a very important issue. All rural families should have a chance to have health and dental care and access to local hospitals.
- Let’s work together to make these things happen.
AGRICULTURE “GROWING” CONTEST
Division I Junior 6 & under
Division II Junior 7-8
Division III Junior 9-11
Division IV Junior 12-14
Division V Subordinate Grange members
Class I — Fruits
A. 4—yellow apples
B. 4—red apples
Class II — Vegetables
A. 3 - potatoes any variety
B. 1– squash, acorn, butternut or any other hard shell variety
C. 1—pumpkin under 50#
Class III — Flowers—Outdoors
A. 1– sunflower head with 2 inch stem
B. Any type of plant (indoor/herbs/outdoor) in a Unique container
Judging: Commercial Marketing Quality Standards are required for entering in each class, IE uniform shape, color, size and disease free.
Judging will take place on Friday morning of the State Convention. Must be received and registered by 9:00 a.m. Friday morning.
GROW WITH THE GRANGE!!
Community Garden Challenge for each Grange.
Post on social media via Facebook, MSG website, etc. Even if you do not have a Grange hall find a spot available in the community to organize an area for your community to participate and share the rewards of what grows in your garden. This could be a great Membership tool and also a Community Service project to be reported in your CS notebook.